Monday, October 26, 2009

The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was disappointed to learn that it is not shortlisted for a Giller. Too bad. I think it is definitely better than Anne Michael's obscure Winter's Vault. I guess I just don't like poetry much. I really liked Oryx and Crake so it is no surprise that I enjoyed The Year of the Flood. I found the characters sympathetic and realistic. Atwood's world, though far from utopic, offers more hope than the dystopia of Handmaid's Tale. I have always and probably will always love Atwood. I even like HER poetry....

4 comments:

  1. I loved Oryx and Crake, too, but could The Year of the Flood stand alone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Year of the Flood can stand alone - it has been 6 years since I read Oryx and Crake (it is on my re-read list since reading Year of the Flood), and I don't remember it very well.

    And re. Winter Vault - I agree completely! I can't believe that Year of the Flood was left off the Giller shortlist while The Winter Vault made it through. Interesting to note that in the 1996 Giller Prize, Fugitive Pieces (Anne Michaels) lost out to Alias Grace (Margaret Atwood)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,
    Like I believe that Year of the Flood can definitely stand on its own as it is not a sequel but rather a novel set in the same tragic world as Oryx and Crake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate,
    You are so right about life's irony. I thought Alias Grace was about 200 pages too long and adored Fugitive Pieces. Maybe we should apply to sit on the Giller Committee and represent the Canuck customer -- though I rarely regret any money spent on a book. :)

    ReplyDelete